Sunday, October 10, 2010

Professional

I've been dreaming about a red corduroy skirt since last winter. Don't ask me why. I just wanted one. I never really got around to it last year - I wasn't sure what kind of shape I wanted on the skirt, and it needed to have pockets and waistband, and I hadn't found the Right Pattern. Then it occurred to me that I had a pattern I liked. I didn't like everything, but I liked the basic things. That pattern was New Look 6873, otherwise known as the Lemon Skirt. I liked the substantial waistband and the pockets. I liked the length (which I had also altered from the pattern on the Lemon Skirt). I didn't like how severely triangular the shape was, and the skirt was a bit big. Not so big I couldn't wear it, but big enough to migrate during the course of wearing so I might find my pocket located closer to my belly button than previously imagined. So, I redrafted the pattern.

First, I traced the existing front and back pieces on to paper. Then, I added two inches in length and took off two inches at the side seams from the hem of the skirt, removing 8 inches total circumference from the skirt. I blended that line up to nothing at the waist. I added less room at the fold when I cut out (recall that I graded the pattern up for the Lemon Skirt. This red skirt is something like a size 19.) I didn't do anything to alter the pockets. I sewed them from the original pattern pieces, and when it came time to attach things I lined up my notches and whatnot, cutting the side seams flush by hand.

I really like this incarnation of the pattern, and I'm already considering new directions for it. I don't, strictly speaking, have a lot of use for this skirt at the moment, but I have worn it to various client meetings and workshops. It never fails to make me feel confident and a bit smug. The picture is an example of an outfit from a real live workshop earlier this week. I also made the teal shirt under the cardi. It was my first go with knits, and more successful than I had hoped, but still a learning experience. The pattern is from New Look 6569. It's not so successful that I feel comfortable modeling without something over it, however, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

In other news, I finished up my granny squares and am now sewing them together. It's starting to look like a blanket, and I adore it more with each new row.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Cute! It looks great! Perfect for fall.

shandy said...

Looks great! You have left enough flare for some movement. Sewing is mainly confidence, I find.

Kristy said...

Cute skirt! And your shirt looks nice also! I have some red corduroy in my stash. Hmmm...